Mold Restoration Tips

Mold Restoration Tips

When a home has significant mold growth that needs remediation, it can be challenging for the average homeowner to handle on their own. Greensboro NC | Mold company remediation is a job for professionals who are trained in the process.

A professional will typically start with a contents pack out, where saveable contents are removed to be restored. The next step is to clean the affected area.

  1. Identify the Source of the Moisture

Identifying the source of moisture is a critical first step in any mold situation. All molds require moisture to grow. They thrive in dark and humid environments. They are attracted to organic materials that provide them food. Molds commonly feed on porous materials, such as paper, fabric, leather and wood.

Checking for mold is a good idea, especially after major storms and floods. If you notice water marks or bubbling paint, a musty smell, or visible mold growth, it is important to fix the problem quickly.

If possible, replace all affected porous materials, such as carpeting and rugs, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, insulation material and drywall. If these items cannot be replaced, they should be disposed of as waste. Bleach can also be used to kill any mold that remains after cleaning. Bleach must be handled with caution, however, and should always be diluted, according to the manufacturer’s directions. It should also be used in a well-ventilated area.

2. Remove the Moisture

When assessing mold situations, warranty representatives need to probe for moisture behind and around what they see. They may need to open up a section of wall to discover moisture damage and hidden mold in the framing, insulation or drywall. This may involve cutting through drywall. Ensure that electrical wires are not in the area before doing so to avoid causing a dangerous power outage.

It’s not enough to just kill and clean the mold; the underlying problem must be fixed. Otherwise, the mold will return.

For example, if the basement floods, correct the drainage issues. For damp attics, install dehumidifiers and ensure dryer vents exhaust outside. If the basement is dark, consider adding more natural light. For surfaces that are susceptible to mold growth, like drywall, paint and carpet, treat the affected areas with bleach or a nontoxic cleaning solution. Dry the materials as soon as possible to prevent further water damage and mold growth.

3. Clean the Area

Mold and mildew are not just unsightly, but they can also be harmful to your health. It is essential to clean these areas of your home immediately, as the longer you leave them unattended the worse the problem will get.

Use a disinfectant that is safe for the surface you are cleaning. This can be a bleach solution – usually one part bleach to three parts water – or a non-toxic cleaner such as baking soda and vinegar. Wear rubber gloves and a face mask, and ensure the area is well ventilated.

If you want a natural, inexpensive option that is also very effective, try tea tree oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia). Add one teaspoon to a bottle of water and mix to create a spray, then spray onto the moldy surface. If you do choose to use this method, make sure you are using pure, distilled vinegar. This is important to avoid any chemical reactions with the oil.

4. Seal the Area

Mold isn’t just unsightly; it can also be a health hazard. That’s why it is important to not only remove the mold, but also address the underlying conditions that caused it to grow in the first place. This may involve fixing moisture problems or removing porous materials, such as drywall, that can absorb the mold spores and spread them throughout the home.

If spores remain after a light scrub, apply bleach to kill them. Remember to wear protective gloves, goggles and a respirator mask when handling bleach or other chemical cleaners. You should also make sure that you are in a well-ventilated area when using these cleaning products and not to touch any spores that have become airborne.

Once the spores are killed, you should seal the area to prevent new spores from growing in the future. You can do this by covering the affected drywall with an insulating product such as True Value EasyCare Ultra Premium Interior Primer/Sealer and then painting it with a color that matches the drywall.